1st Annual Tom Beard’s Football Officials Clinic – West
June 2-3, 2017
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZClick Here to REGISTER for 2017!
“Excellence is doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.” — John W. Gardner
Many officials, from all over the country, have recognized the TBFOC as a major contributor in their advancement. Please click here for a list of recent accomplishments. The TBFOC has been a “springboard” for many officials trying to make the transition from high school to college, as well as for many collegiate officials working their way up the chain. In addition to the list of impressive clinicians, the following Supervisor of Officials will be invited to attend: David Coleman (Pac-12), Greg Burks (Mountain West Conference), Tim Crowley (Lone Star Conference), Bill Carollo (Collegiate Officiating Consortium), Terry McAulay (AAC), Gerald Austin (C-USA), Dennis Hennigan (ACC), Byron Boston (CFOWest), Jim Maconaghy (Colonial / Ivy / Patriot), Harold Mitchell (SWAC), Milt Halstead (ECFOA) and more!
“Everyday is Game Day!!!”
To improve at any profession it takes ‘Commitment, Dedication, Dependability & Attitude’, these are the key variables Tom Beard worked tirelessly at instilling in officials at all levels. Tom also knew that you could not wait until August to pick up a rule book or decide to get in shape for the upcoming season, and he had no problem telling you that. You have to work hard at it 24/7/365 days a year. Officiating has become a year round profession, you will only get out of it what you are willing to put into it, and there is no better time than the present to prepare yourself as if ‘Every Day is Game Day!’ Additionally, no better time than the present to register to attend the Tom Beard Football Officials Clinic – West on June 2-3, 2017. The TBFOC Staff works hard year round to ensure Tom’s legacy continues; we know officiating is not JUST a part time job and our drive and focus to provide you with a top notch clinic began as soon as the last clinic has ended.
Our clinic committee would like to extend an invitation for you to attend a truly unique football officiating clinic. We have assembled an outstanding group of nationally prominent officials, observers and supervisors who are planning to share their experience, philosophy and knowledge with each. You will have the opportunity to meet, greet and eat with members of our clinic staff and guests as well as collegiate and high school officiating coordinators.
The program will include group sessions, position meetings, and special instruction on all areas of officiating. Expect two full days of sharing lessons with NFL, FBS and FCS Collegiate and State Championship Football Officials. Plus, there will be a Friday evening social, and snacks and lunch served on Saturday.
This is our 1st clinic in the “west” and we are very fortunate to have Pac-12 Conference and the Athletics Program at Arizona State University as our host. Each crew is expected a substantial amount of field time because of this. We have improved on the successful format of the TBFOC East from previous years and we will have upgraded facilities, audio-visual equipment, etc., provided by Arizona State.
You will have the choice of selecting from various tracks. There will be multiple breakout sessions offered simultaneously. So, you can choose the breakouts of your preference. We foresee there being a track for High School Officials, 8- and 7-man Mechanics, et cetera.
7 on 7 Passing Camp for H/L/S/F/B:
In addition to classroom sessions, you will be able to work a 7 on 7 Passing Camp. There will be substantial snaps for you to be observed and to received feedback. The ‘early bird’ registration fee is $695 through April 30, 2017. As of May 1, 2017, the fee is $795.
Big Man Camp for R/U/C:
There will be interior lineman field sessions that our Rs, Us, and Cs can take advantage of. There will still be significant opportunities for you to increase your knowledge and officiating abilities! The ‘early bird’ registration fee for classroom only is $545 through April 30, 2017 . As of May 1, 2017, the fee is $645.
The TBFOC offers payment plan options for the Classroom & On-field Registration. In addition to paying in full, you can make 6 payments and 3 payments for the Early Bird Registration.
- Early Bird Six-pay plan (4 payments of $100, 2 payment of $150): due dates are February 28, March 31, April 15, April 30, May 15, and May 31.
- Early Bird Three-pay plan (2 payments of $250, 1 payment of $195): due dates are February 28, April 15, and May 15.
- Please email us directly at gro.c1493450845ofbt@1493450845cinil1493450845c1493450845 to setup payment options starting after March 1, 2017.
Note: Field positions are filled based on full clinic payment dates. Upgrades may be possible but are subject to availability.
The clinic will begin early on Friday so that we have additional time to enhance your classroom and on-field experience. There will be a general session and conference-style sessions regarding mechanics and how they relate to the running, passing and kicking games. Games will occur on Saturday afternoon.
The clinic is designed for both high school officials and collegiate officials at all levels. The emphasis of this clinic is in putting an official in the right place at the right time to make the right call! NFL Clinicians will be in attendance. Supervisors from collegiate conferences are invited.
We have secured a number of live-action field opportunities for you. For your fieldwork, the following attire is required: Hat, striped shirt, black shorts, whistle, flag and bean bag. There will be a clinician for each position at each site. In the event of inclement weather an indoor mechanics demonstration will be substituted.
The following is a list of officiating resources that will be invited to the 2017 TBFOC.
Keynote / Guest Speakers:
- David Coleman, Pac-12 Conference, VP of Football Officiating [CONFIRMED]
- David Coleman, Pac-12 Conference, VP of Football Officiating [CONFIRMED]
- Mark Baltz, NCAA Division III Advisor of Football Officials, NFL Head Linesman (Retired) [CONFIRMED]
- Gene Bouwman, Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, Coordinator of Football Officiating [CONFIRMED]
- Tim Crowley, Lone Star Conference Coordinator of Football Officials [CONFIRMED]
- Craig Griffith, Great Midwest Athletic Conference and Ohio Athletic Conference, Coordinator of Officials [CONFIRMED]
- Gerald Austin, Conference USA Supervisor of Officials, NFL Referee (Retired)
- Jim Duke, NFL Associate Supervisor of Officials, NFL Umpire (Retired)
- Johnny Grier, Pac-12 Observer & Referee, CJ Trainer, NFL Supervisor of Officials (Retired), NFL Referee (Retired) [CONFIRMED]
- Milt Halstead, ECFOA Supervisor of Officials (NEC, PSAC, NJAC, MASCAC) [CONFIRMED]
- Bob Hefferon, EAIFO Southern Chapter Director, NEC Replay
- Terry McAulay, AAC Supervisor of Officials, NFL Referee (Active)
- Ben Montgomery, NFL Line Judge (Retired)
- Dwight Pettiford, NFL Scout
- Larry Upson, Pac-12 Observer, Trainer
- Bob Waggoner, B1G/Mid-American/MVC Assistant Coordinator of Football Officials
NFL Officiating Academy:
- Terell Canton
- Greg Nelson
- Derick Bowers (NFL HL)
- Patrick Turner (NFL Head Linesman)
- Rod Ammari (PAC-12 HL)
- Cravonne Barrett (PAC-12 HL)
- Carl Britt (PAC-12 Umpire Supervisor)
- Bob Day (PAC-12 Head Linesman)
- Jeff Dahle (PAC-12 SJ)
- Rudi Feldman (PAC-12 LJ)
- Michael Hall (PAC-12 Field Judge)
- Kevin Kieser (PAC-12 Field Judge)
- Darryl Johnson (PAC-12 HL)
- Terry Leyden (PAC-12 Referee)
- Tim Messuri (PAC-12 Line Judge)
- Harold Mitchell Jr (PAC-12 HL)
- Scott Monaco (PAC-12 Observer/Scout and NFL Scout)
- Mearl Robinson (PAC-12 Back Judge)
- Larry Smith (B1G Referee)
- Jay Stricherz (PAC-12 CJ Supervisor)
- Steve Strimling (PAC-12 Referee)
- Don Taylor (PAC-12 Observer)
- Frank Villar (PAC-12 Umpire)
- Doug Wilson (PAC-12 CJ)
- Mark Windham (AAC SJ)